Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blue ribbon


I opened the chest after a very long time. Strange things lay in. Things from years ago. Some so dated that there lay just fragments. Old bottles and books, some so old that the paper just disintegrated in my fingers as I turned the pages. There it was, at the bottom of it all. The long blue ribbon that was woven through my hair each morning as I readied my self for school.

Don’t know why it was kept here or how it landed in the chest in the first place. I lifted it up and as I felt the satin that it was made of, the ribbon began to fade. Almost magically, you wouldn’t believe. I couldn’t understand what was happening as it began to slip through my fingers. I tried to hold it but like water it just seemed to flow through the gaps of my clenching wrists. It touched the ground and as it did, its colour spread to the flooring and crept on to the furniture and the pots and plants that lay there. The fading ribbon, suddenly, no more in my hands, was now all around, it filled the room with its presence.  It flooded the space with memories. A wave of nostalgia spread around.


No comments: